Wednesday, March 31, 2010


Ideas and Content:
My writing demonstrates appropriate ideas and content in my Julius Caesar essay, through my topic. I stay on task, and I don't stray from my main idea and start talking about something irrelevant. For example, I chose to write about Brutus' motivators in my second, third, and fourth paragraphs. I started the paragraph with a topic sentence that relates to the chosen motivator, and I stuck to it. All throughout the essay, I maintained a focused topic.

Organization:
My writing demonstrates appropriate organization in a few ways. One way is with my body paragraphs. In my introduction paragraph, I listed my character traits, and I followed that order for the body paragraphs. 'Brutus’s patriotism to the Roman Republic and his love for honor motivates him to join the conspirators against Caesar.' (1st paragraph) In my body paragraphs, I first explained my choice of patriotism, then I explained my choice of love for honor in my second paragraph. But I can improve my writing to demonstrate superior organization with my evidence and explanations. After reading my essay over, I realize there are places where I should have put one piece of evidence before another piece, instead of the other way round. This gives the reader a better understanding of what I'm saying. Another way I can improve is with my explanations. I sometimes brought in my evidence too soon, and I continued my explanation of the previous evidence after I had already put in a new piece of evidence. I could still make sense, but it wasn't the best organization. But doing these things, I believe I can have better organized essays.

Personal Growth:
I see a lot of improvement with my Julius Caesar essay, compared to my Alchemist essay. This is because I have learned to explain my quotes and statements with more proof and detail. On my Alchemist essay, many of the comments were telling me I needed to explain more, as I mainly only used 1 sentence. But in my Julius Caesar essay, I took more time to explain my statements, and how my quotes were not only related to the topic, but how it was important. But I do feel I could have done more explaining, but we had limited time to write. Overall though, I do see a lot of growth and improvement with my Julius essay, compared to my Alchemist essay.

SLR Reflection:
One SLR I use when crafting an essay is Reason Critically. This is because you must be able to prove your statements with evidence and details, but without going off topic. If you start talking about something irrelevant to your main topic, then your writing isn't going to achieve the goal of writing on a certain topic. You also must be reasoning critically when deciding which pieces of evidence to use. If you have many pieces, you must be able to pick which ones are the best. the ones that are going to prove your point. You must also be careful to not add something that doesn't relate to the evidence, or you will confuse the reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment