Sunday, March 28, 2010

The Lost Boys of Sudan - Collage Reflection

Thinking Creatively:
One of the creative elements on my collage about the Lost Boys of Sudan, is the 3D element. I chose to have my 6 word memoir be popping out from the paper, because it grabs peoples attention. This is helpful because my collage shows my 6 word memoir, meaning it is important that people know what it is. Another interesting element is the torn edges around some of the pictures. This is helpful because the torn edges symbolize destruction, which is what the Lost Boys have been through. This technique is also helpful because the edges stick up a little, and make the collage look not as flat.

Reason Critically:
My understanding about the Lost Boys situation is shown through the images and text I selected, because they relate closely to what the Lost Boys have been through, what they have, and what they dream of. For example, I showed pictures of men with guns, on both sides of the war, which shows how much shooting and killing is going on. Many of the people with guns look very young, showing that there is so much destruction, they need as many people to fight as possible. The text I chose shows the Lost Boys situation well, as the words describe what they have been through. For example, one word I chose was destruction. This shows my understanding, as I realize how difficult their journey has been. All of the words I chose help to incite people to take action.

Communicate Effectively:
My collage creates awareness for the Lost Boys in a few ways. One way is by choosing images and pictures that show all the destruction they've been through. One of the images I choose was drawn by a Lost Boy, which gives people a more personal idea of what has happened. People don't have to guess, they can see a visual drawn by a victim. My collage also creates awareness through pictures I chose that shows the life of some of the Lost Boys today. One picture shows Peter working at a Walmart collecting carts. This shows how low paying jobs they get, and how difficult it probably is for them to live off of the low salaries.

Live Ethically:
I think my collage demonstrates empathy and might evoke an emotional response from viewers and/or incite them to act because of my combination of images and text. The images and text I chose show how difficult the journey has been, and how they have lost nearly everything. Homes, family, all is gone, and they had to learn to survive on their own. When people hear the Lost Boy's stories, they can't help but feel empathy, and want to do something. By looking at my collage, it just creates more of a feeling in people, that they want to do something to help. My collage adds to the empathy created, and helps incite people into action to help with what they've been through.


No comments:

Post a Comment